Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability Statement
At Allegion, we are pioneering safety by protecting people where they live and work and protecting our environment at the same time. We promote the health and safety of our employees, customers and local community members worldwide through our commitment to conducting business in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. We believe in advancing sustainable business practices by setting strong safety standards and improving the environment by operating in accordance with the following principles:
- Periodic, formal evaluation of our EHS compliance;
- Integrity and personal accountability;
- Continual improvement in Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) performance, including the goals of reducing the usage of natural resources, minimizing waste, reducing pollution and preventing workplace accidents and injuries;
- Integration of sound environmental, health, safety and sustainability strategies into all business functions;
- Designing, operating and maintaining our facilities with the goal of minimizing negative environmental impacts;
- Responsible use of materials, including, where feasible, the recycling and reuse of materials; and
- Sensitivity to community concerns about environmental, health and safety issues.
Applying these principles has positively impacted Allegion’s safety and environmental performance. We use a global continuous improvement process called Safety Kaizens to identify, eliminate and reduce hazards and waste. In 2015, we focused on Sustainability, Electrical, Machine Guarding and Ergonomics Kaizens. This resulted in a year-over-year 19-percent reduction in recordable cases, a 17-percent improvement in the Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) and a 70-percent improvement in lost-time days.
Consistent with our principles, the majority of our major manufacturing facilities are registered to the ISO 14001 and ISO 18001 standards, while the remaining locations conform or are actively working to conform to the requirements. Several facilities have also received environmental and safety awards, including the Occupational Safety Health Administration’s (OSHA) prestigious Voluntary Protection Program award (VPP).
As a global company, we are taking the initiative to offer environmentally friendly products to better support our communities’ sustainability needs. Allegion participates in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system, among other sustainability initiatives, in an effort to understand the impact of our products on the environment. Additionally, Life Cycle Assessments have been conducted, and Environmental Product Declarations are available for many of our products.
At Allegion, we value the importance of a cleaner world and are committed to being a responsible member of our global communities.
For more information on Allegion’s sustainability efforts, please review the following materials: