Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability Statement
At Allegion, we are pioneering safety by protecting people where they live and work and protecting our environment at the same time. We promote the health and safety of our employees, customers and local community members worldwide through our commitment to conducting business in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. We believe in advancing sustainable business practices by setting strong safety standards and improving the environment by operating in accordance with the following principles:
- Periodic, formal evaluation of our EHS compliance;
- Integrity and personal accountability;
- Continual improvement in Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) performance, including the goal of reducing the usage of natural resources, minimizing waste, reducing pollution and preventing workplace accidents and injuries;
- Integration of sound environmental, health, safety and sustainability strategies into all business functions;
- Designing, operating and maintaining our facilities with the goal of minimizing negative environmental impacts;
- Responsible use of materials, including, where feasible, the recycling and reuse of materials; and
- Sensitivity to community concerns about environmental, health and safety issues.
Applying these principles has positively impacted our safety and environmental performance. This is evidenced by the strong results we achieved in 2014, while using a global continuous improvement process called Safety Kaizens to identify, eliminate and reduce hazards and waste. In 2014 alone, we completed more than 27 Safety Kaizens focusing on job safety assessments worldwide. This resulted in a year-over-year 47-percent improvement in lost-time days, a 28-percent improvement in Days Away Restricted or Transfer (DART) cases and a reduction in hazardous and nonhazardous waste.
In addition to our waste reduction efforts, Allegion’s sustainability principles resulted in a year-over-year reduction in greenhouse gases. And, consistent with our principles, 75 percent of our major manufacturing facilities are registered to the ISO 14001 and ISO 18001 standards, while the remaining locations conform to the requirements. Several facilities have also received environmental and safety awards including the Occupational Safety Health Administration’s (OSHA) prestigious Voluntary Protection Program Award (VPP). We recognize the value of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system to building environmentally safe and sustainable structures. Many products offered by our capstone brands are LEED certified.
At Allegion, we value the importance of a cleaner world and are committed to being a responsible member of our global communities.
For more information on Allegion’s sustainability efforts, please review the following documents: