Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability Statement
At Allegion, we are pioneering safety by protecting people where they live and work and safeguarding our environment at the same time. We promote the health and safety of our employees, customers and local community members worldwide through our commitment to conducting business in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. Our company regularly monitors its operations to ensure they are adhering to environmental standards and regulatory changes. We also believe in advancing sustainable business practices by setting strong safety standards and improving the environment while operating in accordance with the following principles:
- Continual improvement in Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) performance, with the goals of reducing the usage of natural resources, minimizing waste, decreasing pollution and preventing workplace accidents and injuries;
- Periodic, formal evaluation of our EHS compliance;
- Integrity and personal accountability;
- Integration of sound environmental, health, safety and sustainability strategies into all business functions;
- Designing, operating and maintaining our facilities with the objective of minimizing negative environmental impacts;
- Responsible use of materials, including, where feasible, the recycling and reuse of materials; and
- Sensitivity to community concerns about environmental, health and safety issues.
The application of these principles has positively impacted Allegion’s safety and environmental performance. Safety and environmental kaizens are held to drive continuous improvement globally with a focus of identifying, eliminating and reducing hazards and waste. In 2016, we focused on Sustainability, Electrical, Machine Guarding and Ergonomics Kaizens. This resulted in a year-over-year improvements including: a 3-percent reduction in total waste to landfill, a 15-percent improvement in the Total Recordable Incident/Injury Rate and zero unpermitted environmental discharges globally.
The majority of our manufacturing facilities are registered to the ISO 14001 and ISO 18001 standards, and we will continue to include new acquisitions into these ISO programs. In 2016, we successfully registered one facility with the new ISO 14001 standard while creating a template for further registrations.
As a global company, we are taking the initiative to offer environmentally friendly products to better support our communities’ sustainability needs. In an effort to understand the impact of our products on the environment, Allegion participates in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system, among other sustainability initiatives. We also continue to publish Environmental Product Declarations on our portfolio of products.
At Allegion, we value the importance of a cleaner world and are committed to being a responsible member of our global communities.
For more information on Allegion’s sustainability efforts, please review the following materials: